jueves, 8 de octubre de 2020

Second Bach Reporting commands, requests and suggestions.

 Reporting verbs:

Are the examples commands, requests or suggestions?

1.    He asked me to go to the beach with him

2.    The flight attendant told us to fasten our seat belts.

3.    She suggested going to a museum at the weekend.

Rewrite the sentences in reported speech.

1.    “Buy the ticket tomorrow”

Tina told Rob.......................................

2.    “Could you pay your bill later today?”

The hotel manager asked us ....................................

3.    “Why don’t we go camping next week?”

Amy suggested .........................................

4.    “Please, don’t tell my mum that we hitchhiked home”

Mark asked me ......................................

5.    “Let’s not stay here again next year!”

Fred suggested ......................................

Match the examples to the verb pattern

1.    She apologized for coming late

2.    They agreed to go to the beach on the train

3.    She admitted (that) they had lost the keys for their hotel room.

4.    She advised me not to take many clothes with me.

Verb patterns:

Verb + (that) + clause

 

Verb + (not) to + infinitive

 

Verb + object  + (not) to + infinitive

 

Verb + (not) + ing

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Add the verbs in the box to the verb patterns.

Explain, insist, invite, offer, recommend, refuse, warn

Rewrite the sentences in reported speech. Use the reporting verbs.

1.    “I’ll go to the beach if that’s what you want” said Ron. (agreed)

2.    “You shouldn’t take too much money” Lee said to Jo. (advised)/ (recommend) (2)

3.    “I’m sorry I didn’t phone earlier” said Rachel. (apologized for) 

4.    “Don’t sunbathe for too long” I told Jim. (warn)

5.    “Actually I can’t speak French very well” said Robert. (admitted)

6.    “No, I won’t lend you any money” Sue told Lara (refused to)

 

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario